Yesterday we canvassed for Ohio Together to get out the vote (GOTV) with Jan & Kirby who traveled from the state of Washington to help tip the scales in this swing state of ours.
This morning we had time off before starting to canvass again at noon.
We took a walk through Forest Hill Park, and heeded the caution that animals were not allowed. Gus had to stay home. However, we saw many people with their dogs! It turns out that the Cleveland Heights section of the park does not allow pets, but East Cleveland does allow dogs on a leash.
The Forest Hill area was once the estate of John D Rockefeller, who later sold it to his son, John Rockefeller, Jr. In 1939, John Jr donated part of the land to the cities of East Cleveland and Cleveland Heights, stipulating it be used for public recreation. The park opened in 1942.
Across the street, the land was developed by John Jr as a residential and commercial subdivision called Forest Hill. We have already written a post about the 81 French Norman style "Rockefeller homes."
|Maple fall foliage|
|Sumac fall foliage|
|View towards Lake Erie from the hilltop behind|
the site of the mansion; now a sledding hill
|Jan and Kent stand at the top of the hill|
|The site of the mansion (the three benches mark the top of the hill)|
|The man-made lagoon and boathouse|
|Kent and Jan in a fishing dock|
|Dollar spot fungus on a rock?|
|Abandoned apartment building on the edge of the park|
|Dugway Brook East Branch disappears into a culvert under the park|
|Falls of Dugway Brook, a bluestone brook|
through the local feldspathic sandstone
|Layers of bluestone|
|Waterfalls over layers of bluestone|
|Dugway Brook detail|
|Layers of bluestone of a cliff|