Sunday, September 3, 2017

Marietta, OH Part 1 (9/3/2017)

Sunday, September 3, 2017
Ah, some sun! After today's breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express, we left Zanesville and followed the Muskingum River south on OH-60. Lots of small houses and trailers along the river, with docks with fishing and pontoon boats.
A stop in McConnelsville, OH, the county seat of Morgan County.
Opera House (1889) with a theater that has been in continuous use since 1890
Opera House doorway
Civil War Monument (dedicated 1923) was
donated by industrialist T H Simpson, and
sits on a granite block from Gettysburg, PA
J C Bolen Block (1884)
Adams House (1820)
Morgan County Courthouse (1858 in Greek Revival style)
Morris Hardware Store (1845)
Windlass or Crab Winch (used from 1840-1880s)
was hand cranked to open or close the gates of the lock
Lock #7
Lock #7 is still used by pleasure boats
to bypass the McConnel Dam
Big Bottom Massacre Memorial,
near Stockport, OH
After the American Revolutionary War, the government raised funds by selling land to the west of the Appalachian Mountains. Entities like the Ohio Company of Associates bought 1,500,000 acres in the Northwest Territory to develop in an orderly fashion. However, in 1790, some company members moved to the bottom land/flood plain of the Muskingum River, beyond the Ohio Company property. The Lenape and Wyandot tribes were already resistant to the reduction of their territory, and attacked the unfinished blockhouse at Big Bottom, killing nearly half the settlers. This and other skirmished led to the Northwest Indian War, which ended in 1794 and the Greenville Treaty in 1795.
When we arrived in Marietta, OH, we looked for a place to eat. There was very little open downtown, but Emanuel's Restaurant and Bakery was a surprising find.
Started with hummus with mushrooms and a "pillow" pita;
note the Middle Eastern metal cup
We shared empanadas (with a sweet chili sauce) and piccadillo;
very international!
Lockmaster's House (1899) served the
adjacent locks of the Muskingum River
(the locks and dam were removed in 1968) (KSS)
Relic from the Spanish American War (1898)
Front Street in Marietta, OH
The Ohio River Museum exhibits the vast collection of the Sons & Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen.
Shantyboat, a one-room house flatboat (1920s-1930s)
Interior of the shantyboat
Oldest pilothouse of the Tell City (1889),
which sank in 1917 and the pilothouse was
rescued and used as a summer house
until donated around 1977
The utility poles by the building are cut at
differing heights to show flood levels
Ohio River Museum
Kent with the largest steamboat sternwheeler model, the Pioneer
Perhaps the model maker with another of his creations (KSS)
More steamboat models
We were taken on a guided tour of the W P Snyder, Jr, the last intact steam-powered "pool-type" stern-wheeled towboat in the United States, sitting out on the Muskingum River. It was built in 1918 and towed coal barges on the Monongahela River until 1953. In 1955 it was "sold" (for a dollar) to the Ohio Historical Society.
The engineer's domain
The laundry room
Crew quarters
The cook was special, getting her own room and a bigger bed
A shower, toilet and sinks at each end of the ship,
and a bathroom with tub in the center for women only
The ship carried 18-23 people, including females: the cook and two maids.
Pilothouse where the ship could be steered with the helm/wheel
or two steam-powered handles
The smokestacks are hinged and can be lowered
when passing under low bridges

No comments: